What Are the Signs That Root Canal Therapy Is Needed?
5 signs that root canal therapy is needed. Once you experience these indicators, seek out a local Greensboro dentist to further assess and help you relieve this pain.
When the nerve of a tooth becomes infected or the pulp damaged, root canal treatment is necessary. Root canal treatment has a myth that it is very painful. Truth is, it hurts no more than a simple filling.
Signs you may need root canal therapy include:
- Severe toothache pain upon chewing or application of pressure
- Prolonged sensitivity (pain) to hot or cold temperatures (after the heat or cold has been removed)
- Discoloration (darkening) of the tooth
- Swelling and tenderness in nearby gums
- A persistent or recurring pimple on the gums
The process of a root canal, to put simply, is:
- You will be given an anesthetic
- The infected tooth is isolated due to a dental dam placed around the surrounding teeth
- A small hole is drilled to allow access to the infected pulp
- The diseased tissue is removed
- The canal is disinfected
- The canals are shaped and filled
- A crown or filling will on top of the tooth to seal it
Endodontics is a very important component of oral health and dentistry as a whole. Receiving root canal treatment is not only important to your oral health but your overall health and comfort as well.
If you are showing signs of needing root canal treatment in Greensboro call Graham Farless DDS at 336-282-2868. Visit our website at www.gsodentist.com.